Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Romney: "Return Afghanistan to the Taliban"

Romney wants to give Afghanistan back to the Taliban. Meanwhile, Ron Paul realizes that the Constitution gave control of the military to a civilian commander-in-chief, not the military generals. In the June 13 Republican debate, Romney had this to say about his foreign policy:
Romney: It's time for us to bring our troops home as soon as we possibly can, consistent with the word that comes to our generals that we can hand the country over to the Taliban military in a way that they're able to defend themselves.
Paul, on the other hand, understands the definition of "command." As president, he would be in authority over the generals, not subject to waiting upon their go ahead. That's why he responded:
I served five years in the military. I’ve had a little experience. I’ve spent a little time over in the Pakistan/Afghanistan area, as well as Iran. But I wouldn’t wait for my generals. I’m the commander in chief.

I make the decisions. I tell the generals what to do. I’d bring them home as quickly as possible. And I would get them out of Iraq as well. And I wouldn’t start a war in Libya. I’d quit bombing Yemen. And I’d quit bombing Pakistan. I’d start taking care of people here at home because we could save hundreds of billions of dollars.